Sunday, November 18, 2007

Grar-r-r-r-r!

Friday night I met someone from back home on the Red Line. He noticed my Minnesota Twins jacket as I was embarking the train and introduced me to his girlfriend who was right there. The further our conversation progressed, the more I realized he was drunk. It was subtle.

As the train came back above ground and I started answering text messages, he kind of went back into his moment and kept to himself for a little bit. Then he turned to me.

"Do you ever think about screaming obscenities on the train like you have Tourettes?"

"Well," I said. "I have seen a man with Tourettes on the train."

"Yeah, but just imagine being on the train with your buddies and saying 'Hey,..." He made the hand motion for "Keep this quiet but watch this."

I have nothing against the Tourette's Syndrome joke. The desire to scream obscenities is only part of what is an otherwise misunderstood disease. But the joke is kind of obvious in a high school boy / late night television sort of way.

The man went back into his own moment again. He stayed really quiet. Until he took a deep breath and let out a Wookie growl.

"Ma-a-a-a-a-aaaaaaah."

Everyone went silent and I started laughing.

"Maaa-a-a-a-a-ah."

Curiosity of what he would do next made me think about staying on the train. At the same time, I had groceries and more than enough material already. He took what is a really pedestrian kind of joke and made it into his own. Well-played to do that and make me laugh.

I was amused as I exited the train.

No comments: