Monday, August 4, 2008

FIRST PLACE!!!



Back on the 6th of June, I attended a Twins-White Sox game here in Chicago and it was a drubbing. The final score was 10-6 but that's misleading. I was so upset after Minnesota gave up 6 runs in the 5th inning that my friend and I actually left before the game was over. Just a half game out of first place on the 2nd of June, the Twins would fall to 6.5 games back after the series. Times were tough for a soldier deep in enemy territory.

Fast forward through two months of the season and the Twins nipping at the heels of the White Sox but being all gums when it came time to bite. The Twins took 3 of 4 games from the Sox at The Metrodome and were again only a half game back. After a try on Friday night (both teams won) and on Saturday night (both teams lost), the Twins finally took first place as they cruised to victory (6-2 over Cleveland) while the White Sox lost in embarrassing fashion (14-3 to Kansas City!). With Chicago off tonight, the Twins will either lead the division by a full game after tonight's contest in Seattle or be tied for first place with the White Sox.

This is very important because, after a week of games in Seattle and Kansas City, the New York Yankees are coming to Minnesota for three games. And, oh what a coincidence, it just happens to fall when I'll be home in Minnesota. Already I have plans to see the game on Monday with former "Youngest Person I Know That I'm Not Related To" Todd Turner and then see the game on Tuesday night with my brother Dan. (Wednesday's day game is open if you don't have a day job or want to take the day off.) These are going to be important games for the Twins and may decide whether they stay in the catbird seat or if they give the division back to Chicago with a bow. Like a good fan, I will be there to cheer my team to victory.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. For a team that was supposed to finish last or next to last in the division, being in first place (even by a half game) this late in the season is a big deal. They aren't doing it with smoke, mirrors and veterans either. This is a team built for the long haul and one that may achieve their ultimate goal for the season; being in first place on the last day of the season too.

1 comment:

Tj Turner said...

I'm game for wednesday also if you want.
-Todd