Saturday, April 5, 2008

We Were Inverted At the Time

I wish I could find the clip from Wayne's World 2 where Del Preston is finishing a story as Wayne and Garth walk up and says, "... and that's why Keith Richards cannot be killed by conventional weaponry." Because that's exactly how I feel right now. Because early this morning just north of Milwaukee, Scott and I walked away from a car accident completely unscathed.

Susie is back in Minnesota for an extended weekend visiting her family and attending our friends' wedding. I couldn't afford the extra days off and I stayed behind in Illinois. I didn't want to spend the entire weekend in my apartment though. So with a little coaxing and the promise we could be back in Chicago before his 8:00 am shift Saturday (this) morning, Scott and I drove up to Green Bay after work yesterday. It was a good time and we saw a lot of people we hadn't seen in a long while. On the way home, I kicked the seat back and slept.

The next thing I remember was a lot of swearing, the car spinning and then flipping over onto its roof. I asked Scott what happened, he said he'd flipped the car and my classic response is just to say "Shit." He later told me that during the crash he'd thrown his arm across me because he didn't want me bouncing around the cabin. It's kind of sweet in a way. I undid my belt and, as I did, really hoped we were off to the side of the road or somewhere out of the way. My fear was to be exiting the vehicle as another vehicle struck ours. My door was stuck and thus I followed Scott out the driver-side door. Our car was on its top in the mud on the side of the road.

Scott took it pretty hard. I won't go into it too much because I don't want to embarrass him. But he was pretty shook up because there had been another person (me) in the car with him at the time of the accident. I had to remember to remind him since I was okay and he was okay the rest of it was just being inconvenienced. The truth is he was going to have to try harder in the future if he wanted to kill me.

After getting checked out by the ambulance and giving our deposition of what happened, the cops gave us a ride up to the Brueggers Bagels and we had some breakfast. Scott's parents came to get us and they gave us a ride home. An original version of the plan had me staying in Milwaukee while Scott drove on to work but that got cancelled. I just got into bed and took a nap. Sleep may be the cousin of death. But it's not the same thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys are ok!