Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bebop, putt-putt and other forms of alliterative onomatopoeia.

I realize a lot of what people don't like about blogs is their inanity. I'd agree because I hate reading long posts about the minutia of someone's life. But I'm not going to confuse seeming nothingness with inanity. With that in mind, here's what amused me about this weekend.

When I flew into Minneapolis on Thanksgiving Day, that ticket bought the day before my flight also bought me a "random" check from TSA. I guess the message if you plan to attack America's transportation system is to book your ticket in advance.

Orbitz fonked up my car reservation so I had to rent on the spot at the airport. I chose a PT Cruiser. Susie and I were singing Axel-Rose-esque homages to it all weekend. CRUI-SER!!!

The key to three different Thanksgiving meals is you have to pace yourself. The thing you can't control is eating "weird" food. I had the same Thanksgiving meal I've had since I was little bookended by other people's "normal" Thanksgiving meals. It's not bad, just different. Both of these factors added up to me not gorging myself.

On Friday Susie and I went to brunch and then the Mall of America with Todd. While Susie visited a friend at work, I played Todd in a quick game of putt-putt golf. I was pleased to see the mini-golf course was back in the MOA. There isn't anything else which works in that space. I shot five over while Todd was plus sixteen.

Later that night, Susie's family celebrated birthdays and I showed up at the end. All of the really little kids were ready for bed. But Susie's oldest nephew stayed up so she and I taught him how to tickle people.

Then her nephew was playing air-horn on "Jericho" (as in "And the walls came tumbling down..."). Somehow it seemed like a good opportunity to teach him about bebop and jazz. I was imitating Dizzy Gillespie riffs and that made him laugh.

Susie and I flew back on Saturday morning. It was nice to be home. But it was also nice to get back to Chicago and have a full weekend here too. We watched "Rear Window" as well as the rest of the "Flight of the Conchords" episodes and generally chilled out.

No comments: