Wednesday, November 14, 2007

WWGD?

I keep a jar in my closet where I put the change I accumulate each day. Every time it's full I take it to a bank and have them turn it into bills. Today I went to Chase Bank near my work and asked them to count and consolidate the change in my jar.

They wouldn't count it if I wasn't a Chase Bank customer which I think it ludicrious. I was exchanging legal tender for legal tender. I wasn't asking them to cash a check from a different bank or anything like that. All I wanted was for them to use their machine to count the change and to give me an appropriate amount of bills back.

After arguing for five minutes including the particularly strong point that they could've run the machine and given me the bills in the time we'd argued, I left the bank feeling emasculated. I was going over the incident in my head as I walked away when it came to me. The answer to feeling better would be the answer to a simple question.

"What Would Guil Do?"

Guil, for those of you who don't know, is one of my best friends. He lived across the hall from me during our freshman year of college, I stood up in his wedding and ten years of knowing him means knowing he usually comes out on top. Not always because he's right either. Sometimes it's just being a good negotiator and not giving up on your point for any reason whatsoever.

As I walked to the closest Jewel grocery store to use one of their 9% charging coin-counting machines, I started to think about what Guil would've done. As I emptied my jar into the machine, what Guil would've done was forming in my mind. As I sat down at Jimmy John's for lunch, I was smiling. I knew exactly what I should've done.

I should've asked for the supervisor. Once I was talking to the supervisor about how stupid it is and that the cashier was being rude to me and raising her voice to me, I'm sure they would've counted my change and even apologized for inconveniencing me. Despite, of course, me not even being a customer of Chase Bank.

I can't wait for the next time my jar is full.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked. . . .usually they will count it if you're not a customer for like 5% fee. LaSalle does that, so does TCF Bank right by my folks.

--Kubryk--

Johnny Mack said...

M&I in MKE always did that even when I had accounts at Associated Bank.... see... time to get up here bro!

Dredd