Wednesday, March 4, 2009

5(+1) Questions About Watchmen (NO SPOILERS)

One of the joys of living in Chicago for the last two years was meeting, befriending and seeing a metric ton of movies with Miss Mary Kravenas. We met when I worked briefly at a book-seller in Evanston and bonded over our love of all things nerdy, geeky and comic book-related.

In fact, we have one of the best origin stories of any friendship. One day on the train into the city I read an ad saying Amy Sedaris would be signing copies of her new book at the Michigan Ave. Borders near my office. We decided we would go and took our place pretty far back in line when we arrived after work. So far back it took us until past midnight to reach the head of the line. Anyone you can spend six and a half hours in line with and have a deliriously happy good time is surely a true friend.

Mary was fortunate enough to see a preview screening of "Watchmen" tonight and when she got home, I asked her five spoiler-free questions about the film.



Mike: Okay, first question. The one every fanperson is worried about. Is it good?

Mary: Yes, and one of the people I went with was unaware of the graphic novel and he enjoyed it a lot.

Mike: Does the movie have the feel of the graphic novel or is it an entity unto itself?

Mary: It has the feel of the graphic novel. But it definitely has the cinematic feel too, much like "300" where the hong kong action film, turn-and-pivot filmmaking is present.



And the use of some of the actors--namely the dwarf actor who's in, well, everything, brought some unintended humor, I think. There were definite cheers and applause

Mike: Peter Dinklage?

Mary: No, let me find his name. He was in Seinfeld... Danny Woodburn



Mike: Malin Ackerman. Was she okay? Please be honest.

Mary: She did a good job. She kicks ass as Silk Spectre. There were some parts as Laurie where it was a little soft. The Night Owl/Silk Spectre sex scene made me roll my eyes a little.

Mike: Related to that. Did the filmmakers have the um... guts to include Dr. Manhattan's um... bits?

Mary: Yes, uncircumcised and everything. I haven't seen that much wang in a movie that didn't have an NC-17 rating.



Mike: Finally everyone worth their salt knows the Giant Squid is out. Did the replacement ending live up to it?

Mary: Well, it's no Giant Squid. There were parts of the replacement ending that I feel worked well. Because this is a movie, I think the changes that were made to the ending worked and made the ending and how things tie together/are explained more... realistic isn't quite the word.

Also there are a couple of elements that were very "Hollywood." There are going to be quibbles. If the movie could just end a couple minutes earlier I think some reviewers would've been happier. I don't know that I agreed completely with some of the thinking on the ending. There is a parallel to some recent movies.

But in an overall sense, I think the new ending worked for the movie. Even if I didn't agree with it completely.

Mike: Anything else to say?

Mary: There are some great choices of music like when Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is played during the Nite Owl/SS2 sex scene which made me snort. And Jackie Earl Haley is brilliant.



Mike: Mary, thanks a lot for putting a lot of my fears to bed.

Mary: You're welcome. It's not a perfect movie. But it's really good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Piano reference. Funny. See also Bad Lt. for more of his bits. Though, I think they may have been NC-17.