Thursday, February 12, 2009

25 Things

I technically did 29 things for my 30 x 30 unrelated to the 25 things craze. But here are 25 random things about me.

1.) Sometimes I just get lazy about shaving and turn it into an opportunity to grow a sweet beard.

2.) I always watch the Onion News Network twice, once with the sound and again without the sound to read the scroll.

3.) When I go on a date I have to listen to three songs as I'm getting ready: "Today" by Smashing Pumpkins, "I Have A Date" by The Vandals and then "First Date" by Blink 182. Then I listen to as much Jay-Z as possible. Do you know how super confident listening to a lot of Jay-Z makes you?

4.) If you and I are going somewhere in a car and we get to our destination, I am out of the car before you have your seatbelt off. Then I'll stand next to the car like it's you who has the problem.

5.) My brother and I have an ongoing competition to see who can shake famous people's hands. Basically the only way to win would be to shake Obama, Jordan or Thom Yorke's hand (and I was close on the first two).

6.) When I go to the movies, I try to sit in the dead center of the theater. I will go to the extent of counting rows and seats in a row if it's a place I've never been before.

7.) Peanut butter + two slices of bread = meal at any time of day

8.) If I had to pick my best year of my life, I'd pick 2005 followed by 1998.

9.) If I had to pick the worst year of my life, I wouldn't pick one. Each year had something going for it.

10.) My archnemesis for my entire life has been the telephone. If I'm ever on the phone with you for more than a minute consider this a show of the strength of our friendship. I'm literally torturing myself on your behalf.

11.) It would be my dream to one day play a game of Risktego, aka a game of Risk with each of the battles being a game of Stratego. And by "one day" I mean the week it would required to play straight through only taking breaks to sleep, to eat, to use the bathroom and to take a walk outside pondering why you wanted to play a game of Risktego.

12.) I don't eat beef. It's partially a consciousness thing but also beef just makes me feel logey.

13.) When I was little I read a lot of comic books. Here's the weird part. They were mostly Archie comics.

14.) I know that in kindergarten I was as tall as an emperor penguin. I know this because I stood up to show the class how tall an emperor penguin was.

15.) In college my friends and I developed a thirty-hours-a-day, four-days-a-week calendar. We're pretty sure you'd go crazy but the idea of twenty hours on and ten hours off appealed to us. I mean, let's be honest. We were already doing the twenty hours on.

16.) I've moved at least once every year since I was 16 except 2004 and 2007. Amazingly I still check and use the very first e-mail account I ever set up.

17.) When the World Cup rolls around, I'll cheer for any team that speaks English or Portuguese.

18.) I have a friend who I always considered a music expert and was intimidated by his knowledge of music. He then told me he considered me a music expert and was intimidated by my knowledge of music. This individual is now one of my best friends.

19.) During high school, I used to run up to people I knew, put my arm around their shoulder and try to swing into their arms. This worked about as often as you would imagine.

20.) If I had to pick between the ability to fly, invisibility or the strength of 10 men, I'd pick flying. People who pick invisibility are creepers and not to be trusted. I don't know anyone who would pick the strength of 10 men.

21.) To date I have yet to incur any credit card debt.

22.) My favorite soft drink is RC Cola.

23.) I believe there are two appropriate responses when someone offers you a piece of pizza: "Yes, thank you. How generous of you." and "No, thank you. I already have my own slice."

24.) I made a decision a few years ago to be more polite. I rethought it as the minimum amount of consideration you can expect from another person and perhaps politeness keeps us from tearing other apart.

25.) I remember what it was like to be the kid who got left out in grade school. For that sole reason, I am always trying to include new people into whatever I'm doing.

7 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You are very good at including people. I had to delete my original comment because I misspelled "people" and it was embarrassing.

Unknown said...

#5 is funny - I came close on the third but not the first two. I actually had Thom's 1st string in my college apartment (grabbed it off of his guitar at a concert in '96) and it was stolen in '99 by my roommate's best friend, who was convinced that he was a bigger Radiohead fan than I. Was his name T-H-O-M? No. But he did have the "r" in blue oval tattoo. But I have the memory, like that old bag in Titanic who doesn't need the actual necklace. (and I have great taste in music :D)

My friend Thomas bumped into Jordan on the street in DC last year, and one of my other college roommates refused to caddy for MJ in Chicago because he was a cheap tipper.

Do you really want to shake the President's hand? It's touched Sarah Palin.

Christian said...

3) is this because you may have 99 problems, but you also have a date?

5) how about chris martin?

20) invisibility is not creepy. it's useful.

jv said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jv said...

#3 - "Do you know how super confident listening to a lot of Jay-Z makes you?"
Well, I do know that listening to a lot of Jay-Z makes you President... hmm. :)

#8 - '98 was definitely a fantastic year.

#13 - somehow that really explains a lot...

#15 - I still often think about how to make that work

Audrey said...

"Do you know how super confident listening to a lot of Jay-Z makes you?" Ha!

Telephones are the worst. They eventually turned into cell phones so people could communicate via brief exchanges of text, which is far superior. When someone calls me I get anxious like they have bad news.